Marriage counseling sounds scarier than it is. But the reality is that ALL couples argue. All couples have conflict.
You have 2 different people with 2 different backgrounds, personalities, childhoods, perspectives, etc., so yes, you are bound to have disagreements. The difference between healthy couples and unhealthy couples is how they argue.
You may need marriage counseling if:
- you leave every argument feeling hurt and disrespected
- you have been having the exact same fight over and over again
- you are starting to feel disconnected with your partner
- you or your partner have had an affair
- you are having an increasing number of fights
- life is getting stressful or a number of life events have happened in a short time frame
- you are considering ending the relationship
- you want to stay with your partner, but you can’t seem to get through to them about an issue
- you want to stay with your partner, but your partner seems unhappy
- your partner is having personal problems that are affecting the relationship
- you feel hopeless in your relationship
- the past is affecting your present
- you are sad in your relationship
There are lots of other reasons to seek marriage counseling that are not on this list. But these are some of the typical reasons that couples seek counseling. Please note: None of these reasons are “bad”. They are just red flags that the relationship may need some help. If any of the above apply to you, it may be time for outside help.
Any additional questions? Feel free to email me at Shelly@friendswoodmarriagecounseling.com